Last week, Canary Wharf announced that they are the world’s first commercial centre to be awarded Plastic Free Communities Status, the first district in London to achieve this sought after status.
Highlights of Canary Wharf’s progress towards this, as part of their Breaking The Plastic Habit programme included:
- Over 1.2 million items of avoidable single-use plastic have been eliminated
- Over 4 million coffee cups have been recycled. If you stand these cups side by side they would stretch from London to Durham
- Removal of over 1 million plastic straws with 83 retailers on the Estate removing plastic straws entirely
- Over 100,000 water bottles have been reused across seven water refill stations
- Over 19,000 bottles recycled using the UK’s first Deposit Return Vending machine, rewarding users for recycling their plastic bottles
- A new Sea Bin positioned in middle dock collects 30kg of plastic a month from the waterways at Canary Wharf